Seven Words from the Cross
To think about the words Jesus spoke on the cross
Lent, Holy Week, Easter
1. Today we are going to think about what Jesus said as he
hung on the cross. This is traditionally called the 'Seven Words from
None of the four Evangelists, (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John), mention
all 'Seven Words'. They are compiled from the four Gospels.
2. The first three 'Words' were spoken in
fairly quick succession, after Jesus was nailed to the cross. These
'Words' show concern for others.
3. Jesus firstly spoke about the soldiers
and the crowd: 'Father forgive them, for they know not what they do.'
4. Then he spoke to the repentant thief:
'Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise.' (Luke
5. And then to Mary his mother and John
the Disciple: 'Woman, behold your son. Behold your mother.' (John
6. Then came the long silence and
gathering gloom, broken by Jesus's cry of dereliction:
7. 'My God, my God, why hast thou
forsaken me?' (Matthew 27:46)
8. That and the last three 'Words' are
concerned with Jesus himself.
9. 'I thirst.' (John 19:28)
10. 'It is finished.' (John 19:30)
11. 'Father, into thy hands, I commit my
spirit!' (Luke 23:46)
EXIT TO SILENCE